Locksmithing/meilink g 3 1944 wall safe

Question
wall
wall  
I have the safe above and can't figure out the combo as far as I know no one since the original owner of the safe has opened it. Do you have a sequence that o can go off of..Also the dial is pretty stiff and doesn't spin as loosely as you would think

Answer
Hi Brad,

I do have a sequence listing that you can try, however you are going to have to set up a spread sheet and test some combinations out.    

NOTE:    I haven't had anyone yet, respond back that this listing actually works, and if the combination to the lock has ever been changed then these numbers MAY NOT work.    If you test all of them and it still won't open, then you will need to have it checked out by a safe technician from a local safe company.    This lock should be pretty easy for a safe tech to open without drilling, if they are any good!

The dialing sequence should be:

3 times left to the first number,
2 times right to the second number,
1 time left to the third number,
right until the dial stops - door should open.

Note:   left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Ok, I want you to start with the numbers    40-26-2    on your spreadsheet, and then subtract two (2) from each number until you wind up with 22 successive combinations.    Test each one based on the dialing sequence above.    If one of them is correct and you are successful, the safe door should open.

Note:   if there are mechanical problems or the lock is not working correctly, then having the correct combination may not work.    If you do get it open DO NOT close and lock it until you have had it serviced correctly by a safe technician from a local safe company.    If it won't open up, then you will need the safe tech anyway.

Check your yellow pages under safes & vaults to find a local company.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)