Locksmithing/Opening a safe with key

Question
Hello Andy
Trying to open my dad's safe. Its old and made in "Madras". There is no dial or key pad.
There is one key hole, and I can get the key turn once clockwise. Which then allows me to turn the handle counter clockwise and I can hear a "bolt drop". But the door does not open. My mom thinks that the key needs to be turned one more time. For some reason we are lost at this stage!
Help !

Answer
Hi Lee,

I wish I could offer more assistance, however my specialty is in American Made Safes.    Sounds to me like your container was made in India, and possibly a long time ago.   I have a friend in Singapore that you may want to check in with as he is more familiar with safes from that area, especially antique European and Asian safes.

http://www.siaholdsafe.com/

You can check their webpages out or contact them and ask for either David or Desmond Siah.

In general there were two types of key locks used on most of the safes I've seen similar to what you are describing.    They are "single throw" and "double throw" locks.

A single throw lock only requires ONE revolution of the key to unlock.    A double throw lock requires two complete turns of the lock to retract the lock bolt far enough for the main bolt work to operate.

Your mom may be right.    Turn the handle back to the fully locked position, and try to turn the key two full turns.    NOTE:   if it won't go easily, then don't force it.    It won't help matters if the key is broken!!!

If the key turns two full turns, then test the handle to see if it turns as much or further than originally.

QUESTION:   When the key lock is in the fully locked position, does the handle turn as much or less than after you have turned the key a full revolution???

In general mechanical problems require hands on diagnostics and solutions.    If you still can't get it open, and if David or Desmond Siah can't help, then you may need to take it to a safe technician or safe engineer at a local safe company.

Sorry, I wish I could be of more help, but without having the safe in front of me, I'm afraid I can't be of much help.

Hope this works.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)