Locksmithing/my sentry 5760

Question
my father passed away about 3 years ago. i was given his sentry supreme 5760 safe. it had been empty for many years, and was looked. when he passed, the combo went with him to heaven, my step mother never knew the combo, so she gave it to me, i removed the hinge pins on door, but the door still wont open. i need to get inside some how to change the combo for further use, is there any way for me to do this,Or do i need to take it to a lock smith.

Answer
Hi Daniel,

First, my condolences on the loss of your father.

sorry but I have to laugh every time I hear a similar story about removing the hinge pins and thinking the door would open.

Manufacturers figured this trick out about 150 years ago, and so (with the exception of movies), pretty much ALL safes are fitted so that this cannot happen.    Actually safes wouldn't be very safe if this is all it took to open them - would it!

The Key word in your question, is that the safe has been empty for many years.    Cost to have it opened and repaired is probably going to cost more than the safe is worth.    My recommendation would simply be to scrap it and save your money to buy a new safe.

If you are "tied to this safe" because it was your father's - then it isn't about the cost, its about the sentimental value.    In this case I would recommend taking it to a local safe company (NOT a locksmith shop) to have the safe opened, the combo recovered and/or reset for your use.     Depending on where you are located and the shop you take it to, this could easily cost you between $125 to $350!!!!

you can also contact the manufacturer to see if they have a record of the combination for your safe.    Their phone number is:   800-828-1438    or by going to their website:    https://www.sentrysafe.com/ContactUs/Call_Or_Email_Us

Your other option would be to test all of the possible combinations for your safe.    As it is empty, you really aren't on a time schedule with it, so this is a possibility.

Hope this helps.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)