Locksmithing/Vault Service

Question
Hi Andy,
As I just completed installing some safe deposit locks in a bank down here in the South Valley (San Joaquin), and the bank manager asked me to service the main vault door in a couple weeks because she wants it serviced once a year. She had asked me once before to do this but since my experience is more in the line of safe doors and locks I had already gotten a name of a larger company to give to her or I would sub this company to do the work. She said no no its no big deal, you can do it yourself it is just basically cleaning it and lubing it and she said that  the locks are ok for now and don't need service right now. My question is; Is that safe bolt gel lubricant a good one to use? or should I use a heavier lube product. The brand of the vault is Hermann Made in San Fransisco.  It is not a real big one measuring about 3 ft wide 7 ft tall with 2" diameter bolts and very standard type hinges. Any info you can give me or tips would help as to get started with this project.

Answer
Hi Dave,

As you are in my area, if you would like to sub the work out, we would be more than happy to do the work for you.   We specialize in safes and vaults, and have performed restoration and maintenance services on some of the largest vaults in Northern Ca.   Our service area covers from below Fresno to Oregon including western Nevada.

Complete vault service, just like other aspects of locksmithing is very specialized, and is not something that you want to "learn on the job".    If you make even a simple mistake, which results in a locked up vault door, you could have serious legal and liability repercussions.

As far as the bank manager indicating that it could be a "no big deal" relatively easy job, obviously she doesn't understand what complete annual maintenance entails.

As far as education or training - sorry, but you have to understand this is a business, and this is a general purpose forum to answer specific questions that owners may have about their safes, not a training site.    If you are in the trade and interested in training, there are numerous resources available to you, that I would recommend such as local, state and national associations which provide basic and advanced training.

If you are interested in having us do the work for you, you are more than welcome to call me up.   We can bill you directly and you can bill your customer for the work done and keep your customer - we are in no way interested in taking your customer from you.

I will be out of the office all day tomorrow, but should be in on Monday if you would like to contact me.   You can email me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com    or call me at:   800-326-4224

After I receive more info and details, I would be happy to discuss pricing, etc. and any questions that you might have concerning our sub-contracting work for you.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)