Locksmithing/Books on Locksmithing

Question
Hi Dan,
Can you recommend a book on locksmithing that explains the differences between different types of residential locks. I just attempted to change the key on a Weslock knob and deadbolt and it
looked just the same as the Kwikset key. The Kwikset key fit in the Weslock but Weslock key did not fit into the Kwikset keyway, it went in part way and them bound up. Also I worked on a E-Z-Set knob that took a
kwikset key but the pins were different length. I need to get a book that explains which locks are the same as each other and which ones require  different kits for re keying etc. Is there such a book? What do you recommend.
Thanks for what ever info you can give me.
Dave

Answer
I don't know of a particular book for residential locksets.

The same priciples apply to both resiential and commercial.

Start by looking for articles on "space and depth" for keys.

Also the Ilco key catalog, available online, will show you the small differnces in various key blanks.

This will show you why a Kwikset key will go into a Weslock but not vice versa.

Many manufacturers such as Schlage, have manuals on servicing and keying their products online.

Once you understand how keys are gauged from the shoulder of the key and how this relates to the pin chambers in the lock plug you will be well on your way.

Buy as many locks as you can from garage sales, etc. for practice.

How are you cutting the keys?

Dan

Locksmithing

Dan Terrigno