Locksmithing/dissable anti-lockout old Schlage privacy

Question
I'm trying to lock my bedroom door even when I'm outside of it. I have young grand kids and bedroom is not child safe. Depressing the latch unlocks the lock, so I can't push the button and close the door to lock it. The lock is a Schlage, from the early 50's. The only numbers I found on the lock were M45. Any hope.

Answer
Hello Scott,

Privacy locks are designed to unlock when the door is shut to prevent lockouts, well most are as it depends on the brand.  Yours is one of those.

It cannot be modified to use how you need it although if the emergency access hole allows for a screwdriver type of tool you might be able to shut the door then lock it with your emergency tool.  I'd think not though since you stated you have to depress the lock button from the inside.

You'll have to get a keyed lock for this door to lock it when needed.

Most locksmiths will have that lock on the shelf for you to pick up.  You should note that due to the age of your lock, it may have been installed in a hole smaller than newer locks will fit into so you will have to modify the door a bit for a new lock.

James

Locksmithing

James