Locksmithing/Gardex safe

I have been given a brand new Gardex Fire and Burglary (F&B) digital safe and can't get it open.  It looks similar to the EX1212 on your site.  I looked at your video and done the 123456 but it doesn't open.  I have changed several new batteries but it doesn't work.  I am at wits end, if you can't help me I will have to throw it away as it is taking up too much space and not working.

Hi Carol,

I'm not sure what site you are looking at, but I'm sorry to inform you that I do not have a web site showing safes.    I also don't have any video's posted illustrating lock operations.

My first recommendation would be for you to change batteries in the key pad, to ensure that you have enough operational power to open the safe.    It should take two NEW 9vdc, Alkaline type batteries - I recommend you ONLY use either Duracell type or Energizer type batteries.

My second recommendation is for you to contact the actual manufacturer.   If indeed the safe is new, then it should be under some kind of warranty.    Generally most manufacturers have at least a one year warranty on their products.    Obviously if your safe is older than one year, then it isn't a "brand new" safe.

You will need the serial number of the safe to obtain any warranty services.

Contact info can be found at:     http://www.securifort-gardex.com/en/contact.html

If you still can't get it open, then you may need to contact a local safe company to have it opened and repaired.   The manufacturer does have a representative in Santa Domingo, Dominican Republic   (see web site listed), they may have a local safe company that they would recommend.

Third recommendation would be to contact the person who gave you the safe to determine where they got it from and/or if they know the original combination that it was set on.   You can also check with them to find out if it had any problems prior to them giving it to you.

Again, my first recommendation is to replace the batteries - NOTE:   I never trust batteries - even new out of the pack.    I've seen too many that had low charges.    You should test the batteries to ensure that they are over 9vdc if possible.

Hope this helps,  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)