Locksmithing/Need to mount new S&G 6730 lock

Hi there,

I just picked up a Sargent and Greenleaf 6730 lock from eBay. I'm planning to start learning manipulation, and wanted something relatively inexpensive.

My problem is the lock didn't come with a practice stand of any kind, and I'm not quite sure what to mount it on. I've seen some sites where I can buy 90 degree angles of a variety of materials, including Aluminum, Polystyrene, Steel, etc... What material do you think I should get to mount my lock on? I live in Northern California near SF, if there are any options nearby. I'm hoping to avoid spending too much.

Also, which of the safe classes/courses that you've listed as having taken do you recommend most for learning manipulation/installation?

Hi Jonathan,

locks don't come with "practice stands", in fact other than mounting screws, they generally don't come with ANY other items.    You pretty much have to order everything separately.   

As far as a lock mount, there are a couple companies like LockMasters,       that do have training lock mounts - with or without the locks.    I haven't purchased one in a while, however I'm pretty sure that they are in the $35-$50 range.    
You might be able to find something on line, however, my recommendation would be to go to Tap Plastic to make a mount.     All you need to do is to have them bend the thickest piece of plastic that they can to a little more than 90 degrees   (100-120 would work), so that the lock is over the "foot" position.     Then you can simply drill and tap all of the mounting holes in the plastic and mount the lock.

Pretty much you can mount the lock on any material that you wish.   Obviously the only determining factor to the thickness of the material will be the dial spindle length.    I would also recommend that you need several mounts, each with different types of locks.    Even learning the basics of manipulation will NOT transfer directly to every lock.    Different manufacturer's products will require you to be able to "adjust" your methods for THAT specific lock, AND more importantly, to learn and develop your skills.    Remember - forget EVERYTHING you have seen in the movies.   For obvious security and liability reasons, they DO NOT show manipulation as it really works.

I believe that there is a locksmith vocational training school in Palo Alto, Ca.   The contact info that I have for them is:
Bay Area School of Locksmithing
942 Industrial Ave., Palo Alto, CA   94303

Unfortunately there aren't many correspondence safe lock classes available any more.   The majority are "resident" course - meaning that YOU have to take the time to go to the school to learn.  
Secondly, there are generally "pre-requites" to taking a manipulation class.
1.   You have to already be a licensed locksmith or have completed a locksmithing school
2.   Completed a basic safe servicing class
3.   complete any background checks that the school requires.

I've included references (below) for a couple of the course I would recommend.

Our shop is in Hayward, CA - across the Bay from San Francisco, however we do not teach classes, nor do we offer locks or equipment for sale.

Actual manipulation is about 10-20% knowledge and 80-90% practice - though if you do not have the FULL understanding of the principles and more importantly HOW each lock works, then all the practice in the world isn't going to help.    The 10-20% is just as important as the 80-90% practice, if not more so!

Bottom line, if you are just doing this as a hobby or for your own interests, no one is going to take you seriously, and more importantly, if you don't have a state license to practice locksmithing, any tools that you might have or make to assist you could easily be interpreted as burglar tools.    While being registered does NOT actually make you a locksmith, it will legitimize you, and keep you out of any trouble with the law.

The more people and businesses that you know and/or are acquainted with the more capabilities to learn the trade that you have available.

I would also recommend that you join the California Locksmith Association - they do offer training classes throughout the year and during their annual convention.   They can also give you a listing of any accredited schools in California.

While I'm on the subject of trade organizations, I would also recommend that you join the two national organizations for safe men.   They are:

Safe And Vault Technicians Association (SAVTA)

National Safemen's Organization

Both organizations will do a back ground check, and you must be involved in the trade.

Also, a good reason to get involved NOW, is the upcoming SAVTA trade show/convention in Reno, next April.

The show is scheduled for April 20-25, 2015 with classes held on Monday through Friday.   There are usually at least one or two manipulation classes, taught by some of the best manipulators in the industry.    Again though - as with life, there are pre-requisites for some of the classes, so you need to get these taken care of BEFORE the show, unless you can take a pre-requisite class AT the show.

Welcome to the industry - now get busy with the rest of your life!    

Hope this helps,  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)