Locksmithing/Very old deadbolt

Question
Old lock
Old lock  
We're renting a house with very old deadbolts.  The locking mechanism is on the inside and there is no exterior key unlock, so they cannot be unlocked from the outside.  The one for the front door seems to have stripped and no longer turns the lock.  The problem being it's stuck in the locked position and we can no longer get in the front door.  I've taken it apart but I can see no way of spinning it so it unlocks.  Before I took a drill or saw to the door or jamb to rip it out I figured I'd ask here.

Answer
Hello Joe,

Sorry for the delay, I was unavailable for the last week.

One sided deadbolts, as well as those with 2 sides, can fail in the locked position and it seems they generally do, causing major headaches.

Remove the inside assembly then use a hammer and cold chisel to break the bolt mechanism apart to get it to retract so you can open the door and replace the lock.  Unfortunately there isn't an easier way.

I'd recommend purchasing a new one first.

James

Locksmithing

James