Locksmithing/SAFE COMBINATION

Question
MY SISTER HAS SENT ME A PIC OF A SAFE THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE THE COMBO TO, THE PLATE SAYS THE SAFE CABINET LABORATORY INSPECTED LE SAFE NO. 1388 OR 1588. THE DIAL SAYS YALE. THE DOOR IS OPENED. MY QUESTION IS CAN I TAKE THE BACK OF THE LOCK OFF AND TURN THE DIAL TIL I LINE UP THE PLATES UP TO DROP THE PINS AND GET THE COMBO THAT WAY.I ALSO HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THIS LOCK IS RLR BUT COULD BE LRL? ANY HELP THERE? I ALREADY TOLD SIS TO CALL A LOCKSMITH IN HER STATE, BUT BECAUSE I AM A LOCKSMITH IN ANOTHER STATE DEAR SIS HAS ASKED MY ADVISE FIRST.

Answer
Hi Sandy,

Your safe was made at some time between 1926 to 1955.    As long as the door is locked open, the combination can be recovered and/or reset.
The "inspected LE Safe" indicates that this was a "Light Exposure" fire resistive safe.   They also made Medium Exposure (ME) and Heavy Exposure (HE) fire resistive safes.

Note:   I never recommend lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reason that I don't recommend using locksmiths for safe work.    In general, locksmiths do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes.    

I did note that you have indicated that you ARE a locksmith, so I need to say that the above paragraph is nothing personal, but as you are coming to me with this request, it does illustrate exactly what I was referring to.    Hopefully this job will get you more interested in safe work, and/or motivate you to get more training.   Trust me when I say that I was once where you are, so I know what I'm talking about.

For this reason I would recommend that you contact a local safe company to have them recover the combination for you and to give you the correct dialing sequence for the lock installed on your safe.

You have indicated that you would like to remove the back cover of the lock to simply line up the wheels to recover the combination.   Chances are, this lock has a removable lock curb - meaning that the combination wheels are attached to the lock plate.    Removing the lock cover also removes the wheels, so you can't simply dial them up until they line up.

Combination recover will require complete disassembly of the lock and observation of the wheel pack and individual wheels to determine the set combination, and then reassembly of the lock and dialing "TEST" combinations to determine the ACTUAL combination that the lock will unlock on.    Depending on the lock and other factors, it may NOT dial up exactly to the combination that you recover off of the wheels.

I would need more info on the lock or photos of it, to give you the correct dialing sequence for THAT particular lock.   Yale made various types for different manufacturers, but I would have to speculate that the actual dialing sequence for your lock is probably going to be as follows:

4 times Right to the first number,
3 times Left to the second number,
2 times Right to the third number,
1 time Left until the dial stops - should be around 10.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise and Right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Have your sister check her yellow pages under safes & vaults to see if there is a local company.    If she can't find one, or if you need a referral, let me know where she is located (zip code) and I'll see whom I might know in her area.

Also, hopefully you will pursue this extra line of study.    Safes has always been an extremely fascinating pursuit for me.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)