Locksmithing/Star Safe Co. lock assembly needs key made, or replaced

I have a Star safe with dial combination, and key entry. It is Ithink considered a cabinet type with 4 rubber feet on bottom. I unfortunately do not have a key for it so I have to use a screwdriver in the hole that the key cylinder should be located. The numbers on the key cylinder face are; R3554 if that helps. I would be willing to buy a new lock that could replace this one, if there is such an animal that would be great. I just want it to work. All this lock does is slide the bolt out of locked position once the combo is dialed in. I would greatly appriciate your help.

Hi Marc,

If you are using a screw driver in the key cylinder, then that lock is no good, so getting a key for it want work.

The majority of these little containers were imported, and the factory no longer has replacement locks available.

A lot of the manufacturers in Asia, did the same type construction where the "key lock" basically acted like the handle to open the safe after the combination was dialed.

I may have a lock I can retrofit into your door, however I would have to have the door here, to determine if anything I have would fit it.

Now for the main problem - cost to repair/replace or upgrade your safe/door is possibly going to cost more than the safe is worth.

My recommendation - especially if you can open it, is to get a new one same size, as a replacement.

Your other option would be to keep using the screw driver.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)