Locksmithing/unknown combination to a safe

Question
safe
safe  
I have a safe that is in my uncles house but we no longer know the combination ... type of safe is unknown to us, but the handle and dial say yale... there is also a series of numbers on the handle at the top is the number 5 then in the middle of the handle is the number 10746... the safe measures 18x22x18 and weighs 375 pounds ... i have attached a pic of the safe ...hope u can help.

Bob

Answer
Hello Bob,

Based on the photo that you have included, I would have to believe that your safe is from the Syracuse Safe Company, Syracuse, NY.   This company was in business from 1885 to 1929, though they didn't incorporate until 1904.
Based on the photo and serial number, Your safe was built between 1905-1915, so it is an antique safe.

The lock on the safe was manufactured by Yale and is most likely an OB series lock (OBB), three wheel with a gravity lever.   This lock has the potential of 1,000,000 possible combinations.

The dialing sequence for the lock should be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right, slowly until the dial stops (around "0".

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Your options to open the safe are basically:

1.   Test all of the combinations until you find the correct one.    testing 500 each day would only take about 5.5 years.    You can cut down the number of combinations to about 125,000 possibles by dialing every other number.   While it still may not unlock, you may be close enough to get it to drop in and open.    

2.   Contact a local safe company to have their safe technician open your safe.    I don't recommend using locksmiths as they generally do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on or open safes without causing excessive damage or charging exhorbant fees.    As this is an antique safe, and parts are not easy to find, you don't want any damage done to the safe that is not repairable.    Cost to open AND repair the safe should be in the $350 to $500 range and shouldn't take more than a couple of hours (2-3 at most).
Check your local yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for local companies.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

After the safe is open, if you would like me to look at it further, and/or to ID it, I would be happy to.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)