Locksmithing/Accessing and Valuing Diebold Cashgard

Diebold safe - full view
Diebold safe - full vi  

Safe keypad
Safe keypad  
Andy - when the bank branch closed in our building, the bank abandoned a number of pieces of equipment, including what I think is a fairly "new" Diebold Cashgard Safe, in good shape. I'd like to be able to open the door in order to take some photos of the inside for purposes of sale, and get some idea of what the used market pricing would be for this item.  Size: 72" x 40" x 33"
It has a digital punch number lock, and the bank left a 6 digit combination.  But after punching in the digits, the red light on the panel flashes red twice, and the door will not open.  What am I missing?  Can the combination be cleared, reset, etc.?  How elaborate a process is that?
Do you have enough info to assess the value?  I could send some additional photos.

Thanks for your time and help.

Hi Kevin,

The lock and key pad are from LaGard.   The keypad is a series 3000 entry unit.    The lock inside the safe can be a number of different varieties from LaGard, however opening the safe is pretty much the same for all of the locks.

My first recommendation is for you to change batteries, if you are getting two beeps and two flashes AFTER the last digit, then the code is probably correct.   Chances are there is enough power for the electronics but not the mechanical portion of the lock.

Tap "UP" on the bottom of the key pad.   It will slide up the face of the safe about 3/8's of an inch, and come of into your hand.   Underneath will be two 9vdc batteries.   Use ONLY good quality, FRESH Duracell or Energizer ALKALINE batteries.  

Note:   and I need you to pay particular attention when you press EACH key.   You should get ONE beep and ONE red flash for EACH button you press, and then ONE additional beep and flash AFTER the last number of your combination - IF the combination is correct.

So for example if the code is 123456  AFTER you press the 6, you will hear ONE beep for the button and ONE beep to indicate a correct code.

If you hear ONE beep for the last number and THEN two beeps, it is an incorrect code.

Note #2:   If you get the correct beeps and it still won't open, it may be in dual custody.  Many of the banks used a dual custody (dual combination) to open their safes, meaning that you will need TWO 6 digit combinations.    

If you don't have the correct codes and/or it still won't open, then you will need a trained safe technician from a local safe company to open the safe for you.   As far as clearing or resetting the lock - you ether have to have the correct combination OR the safe has to be open to reset the circuit board.   If it could be reset from the keypad without having the current code, it wouldn't be very safe - now would it!

As far as value - currently (assuming it won't open) it has a negative value - that being the cost to open and repair it.

Based on the photos this may be either a TL-15 or TL-30 plate safe, so you could easily be looking at between $800 to $1500 to have it opened and repaired, plus the cost of a new lock.

Check your local yellow pages under safes & vaults for a local company.   Discuss options and pricing with them.   If you don't have a local company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know in your area.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)