Locksmithing/American Security STAR Floor Safe

Question
Floor Safe
Floor Safe  

STAR
STAR  
Greetings...  I have an American Security "STAR" floor safe that I think I have the combination, but am unable to open the safe.  We purchased the home from someone and he gave us what he thought was the combination.  He could not open it nor can we.  I have tried the sequence you put in a previous post, but still cannot open the safe.  Any other options.  I do have the serial number (#150XXX), but apparently the American Security people do not have the original combinations from that far back.

Answer
Hi Patrick,

You are correct - AMSEC does not have records prior to serial number 370940 - which would include yours.

This leaves you with two options, you can either test all of the possible combinations, or you can have the safe opened by a safe technician from a local safe company (I don't recommend locksmiths for safe work, as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes.)

As you have indicated that you think you have the combination, you may simply be making a dialing error, so we will start with the correct dialing sequence for the lock on this safe.

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to he third number,
1 time right until the dial stops - should be around 95.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance if your first number is 50, you will turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the fourth time the number 50 arrives at the index mark.

If you still can't get it to open, then its probably time to call the safe company.   Their safe tech can test your combination out to ensure it is dialed correctly, and/or if necessary, open the safe and recover or reset the combination for you.

Check your yellow pages under safes & vaults for a local safe company.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)