Locksmithing/brink safemodel 5056

Hi.   My safe is like frozen/rusted. I can get the key in, but it will not turn to right to open. I have tryed to open many times. and it will not turn. This safe is in the house.   C. Helms

Hello C. Helms,

"Brinks" models were just a logo name.   The company importing these containers was out of southern California, named SYSCO Products.   They also sold the same safes under the names "First Alert" and "Honeywell".

Unfortunately these are fairly inexpensive (read cheap) imported safes.   If your safe is frozen/rusted it is going to cost more to repair it than it is worth, possibly several times over.

If there is nothing inside, I would save my money and buy a new, better quality safe.

If you have items inside which you need out, you have a couple options, you can have a safe tech from a local safe company open it for you, or you can destroy it trying to open it yourself.

Better recommendation:   When I have a customer in a similar situation as you, if they bring it into my shop to buy a new better quality safe, I will open their damaged safe at no charge, AND dispose of it.

I would recommend that you check in, with local safe companies to see if they would offer you a similar deal.    If not cost to open your safe could run into a couple hundred dollars AND not leave you with a working safe - depending on what the damage or current problem entails.

Sorry for the bad news.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)