Locksmithing/Changing combination on a Cannon simplex pistol lock box

Question
I hope you can help me. I have an old Cannon pistol box that is controlled with a simplex lock on the top of the lid. Two buttons need to be pushed simultaneously and one individually to turn the knob that opens the top of the box. I no longer have the instructions, but I do remember the combination. My question is, how do I change the combination? Thank you.

Answer
Hi Leonard,

While the pistol box may be made (or sold) by Cannon, the lock is made by Kaba America.   Simplex is one of the brands they have acquired over the years.
You can contact Cannon's customer support by calling  1-800-222-1055  to have them email you a set of instructions.

While Kaba makes a number of different lock versions, the combination changing sequence is basically the same, though you DO have to know the current code to change it.    If not then the lock WILL require full disassembly to reach the combination chamber, to manually reset the lock - this WILL require a trained locksmith who is familiar with these locks.

Basic instructions are:

With the container door locked OPEN!

1.   Turn the outside thumbturn to the left (counter clockwise) to the stop position; then release.   This will clear any random entries from the mechanism.

2.  Enter the existing combination

3.  Inside the container, on one end of the lock will be a "button", press it - you should feel a click.

4.  Turn the outside knob counter clockwise to the stop position, then release,

5.  Choose and enter your new combination.   Press the buttons carefully, and as noted you CAN press two buttons at the same time as part of the combination.
You can have from one to five buttons total but each button can be used ONLY once.

6.  Turn the outside thumbturn to the right (clockwise) to the stop position; then release.    The new combination should now be active if everything was done correctly.

Test your new combination several times to ensure the lock unlocks correctly, before closing and locking the container door.

If you make a mistake, try your old code to see if it still works.   If it doesn't and/or you don't understand these instructions, then you probably need to take the  box to a local locksmith to have them change it for you.

NOTE:   DO NOT CLOSE AND LOCK THE CONTAINER DOOR UNTIL YOU HAVE VERIFIED THAT THE NEW CODE WORKS CORRECTLY.

Hope this helps

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)