Locksmithing/Depsost box key

I have a Mosler key how do I find the bank

Sorry but you can't.

Serial numbers on safe deposit box keys, were ONLY used by the manufacturer to have a record of how THAT particular lock was keyed up.

Lock manufacturers always ship out cases of locks with totally random serial numbers.   NO RECORDS are kept of where locks are sent.

Safe Deposit Box manufacturers would receive the locks and then install them in the safe deposit box nests.   Generally three to five nests would make a stack.

Banks order various size nests from the manufacturers based on the size of their vaults and based on the sizes of boxes that they want to offer their customers.

The SD Box makers install random locks, randomly in random nests, and DO NOT keep records of what lock was installed.   They also DO NOT keep any records of where the boxes are shipped.

Generally banks order the nests from distributors.   The SD Box makers ship to the distributors, so they have no idea of where any given nest, box or lock goes.    Distributors also do not keep any lock or key records on where a particular lock goes.

Banks ONLY have records based on THEIR box numbers, which are numbered based on the stacking of the nests in their vaults.

If YOU don't know what bank AND what box the key goes to - there are NO records anywhere which can help you.

If you obtained the key through a death in the family, and want to check to ensure that items are not abandoned in the box, then I would recommend that you scour the family records for info concerning ANY and EVERY bank that person may have done business with.   If you don't have these records, then you can query every bank in the town this person lived in to see if they had any accounts or safe deposit boxes issued to them.

NOTE:   Very important.    If YOU are not the executor of the estate, then basically most of the banks aren't even going to discuss any customer information.   They may not even acknowledge that your relative every had an account with them.   They do this for obvious security and liability reasons.

Ok, I think I've covered all of the basics.    If you simply have a key that you have found, it basically doesn't go to anything.

Sorry this is about as good as it gets!

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)