Locksmithing/Wall safe

My son just purchased a house with a wall safe how can I get the combo for it. Old owner forgot combo safe door is open now but we need combo. It says safe manufacturers national ass. 11y7320 smna group 9 spec 1  relocking device 536396 on the inside of safe door. Would any of that onto get the combo

Hi John,

The label you are referring to, has NOTHING to do with the safe maker.   SMNA was simply a testing agency, similar to UL.   They provided and tested safes to standard to determine the burglary or fire resistance of a container.

In your case a "Group 9 specification indicates a basic burglary resistant container (wall safe), with a body thickness of not less than 1/4" and a door thickness of not less than 1/2", equipped with either a combination or key lock.

The relocking device label also has nothing to do with the safe, other than to indicate that the container does have extra security built in.   Attacks to try and open the safe only succeed in locking up the safe worse than it possibly is now.

NOTE:   SMNA classifications and specifications DO NOT meet any current standards for fire or burglary resistance and should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.

SMNA is NOT the manufacturer of your container.

In general, ALL of the manufacturers that were tested by SMNA are no longer in business, and even if they were, most wouldn't have records going back more than about 10 years.   SMNA quit testing safes over 50 years ago!!!

You basically have two options - you can either test all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations that may be on the lock or you can have a safe technician from a local safe company open it, and either recover or reset the combination for you.

Check your local yellow pages under safes & vaults for a local company.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but you really haven't provided much useful info at this point.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)