Locksmithing/Allied Gary

Question
QUESTION: Recently took our coin safe out of service and then realized there was something left in it.  Could not find power cord and used one fron a computer monitor.  What I didn't know was that the original cord had a step down transformer on it.  As a result I fried the control board and now can't power up safe to get in.  Is there a way to jump and or bypass the board to activate the timer?  Any other way to get in without drilling?q2syg

ANSWER: Hi Jay,

Electronics are fairly "uncomplicated" - they either work or they don't!    There is nothing in between.

If you've fried the control board, then there is nothing in the machine to tell the lock solenoid to retract.

Bottom line, this unit will need to be drilled.    

While we did come up with some bypass techniques years ago to open these units up without drilling, without having the proper tools, including fiber optic scopes, without the training and tools, your safe tech will have to drill.

Sorry, no easy way out here.

Contact a local safe company that is familiar with these units to schedule up opening service.

QUESTION: Thanks for the input.  I was just hoping that with a schematic or wiring diagram I could energize the coil to unlock. Can get to the ribbon cable and some wiring from outside. If that's not possible is there a chance I can drill myself?  Have access to quite a few tools.

Answer
Hi Jay,

While early electronic locks were subject to spiking, manufacturers quickly changed the circuit boards so that this can't easily happen any more.   In fact many of the locks are equiped with spike protection on the circuit board, which burns out to keep the lock secure in case of this type of attempt.

While I'm sure that you can possibly drill the safe, for obvious security and liability reasons we do not give out any opening advice for any reason to anyone - even if you had all of the licensing and registration of a locksmith or safe technician.    This is an open forum which anyone can read, and we have no way of knowing who you are, what your relationship to the safe is, and/or what authority you have to even work on it.

Similarly if diagrams or schematics are available, we do not offer them or provide them.    Sorry.

This is one of those cases, where the only resources that I can offer you, would be the names of some safe companies or service companies in your area.   If you don't have a local safe company, let me know your zip code, and I'll see who I might know and/or would recommend.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)