Locksmithing/Allied Gary

QUESTION: Recently took our coin safe out of service and then realized there was something left in it.  Could not find power cord and used one fron a computer monitor.  What I didn't know was that the original cord had a step down transformer on it.  As a result I fried the control board and now can't power up safe to get in.  Is there a way to jump and or bypass the board to activate the timer?  Any other way to get in without drilling?q2syg

Electronics are fairly "uncomplicated" - they either work or they don't!    There is nothing in between.

If you've fried the control board, then there is nothing in the machine to tell the lock solenoid to retract.

Bottom line, this unit will need to be drilled.    

While we did come up with some bypass techniques years ago to open these units up without drilling, without having the proper tools, including fiber optic scopes, without the training and tools, your safe tech will have to drill.

Sorry, no easy way out here.

Contact a local safe company that is familiar with these units to schedule up opening service.

QUESTION: Thanks for the input.  I was just hoping that with a schematic or wiring diagram I could energize the coil to unlock. Can get to the ribbon cable and some wiring from outside. If that's not possible is there a chance I can drill myself?  Have access to quite a few tools.

Hi Jay,

While early electronic locks were subject to spiking, manufacturers quickly changed the circuit boards so that this can't easily happen any more.   In fact many of the locks are equiped with spike protection on the circuit board, which burns out to keep the lock secure in case of this type of attempt.

While I'm sure that you can possibly drill the safe, for obvious security and liability reasons we do not give out any opening advice for any reason to anyone - even if you had all of the licensing and registration of a locksmith or safe technician.    This is an open forum which anyone can read, and we have no way of knowing who you are, what your relationship to the safe is, and/or what authority you have to even work on it.

Similarly if diagrams or schematics are available, we do not offer them or provide them.    Sorry.

This is one of those cases, where the only resources that I can offer you, would be the names of some safe companies or service companies in your area.   If you don't have a local safe company, let me know your zip code, and I'll see who I might know and/or would recommend.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)