Locksmithing/Cary safe

Question
I bought a house with a cary safe in the basement.  I have spent hours trying to manipulate it.  I finally drilled it and found the openings in the wheels.  There are four of them so I figure its a y6? I set the dial to 0 and marked the bezel and then dialed the combination that I saw work through the hole drilled at every number to 99. I didn't get it open.  6 years later I want it open and will get out the torches if I don't figure it out soon. My 7 year old is also putting pressure on me to burn it.
any way if the dial is on 0 at what number should I position the openings in the wheels in order for the pin to drop? I have searched all over for a diagram but have found none. maybe I was dialing it wrong?
the openings are at 77(last wheel to pick up)42 12 70(dial)
what is the actual combination?
once it is open could it be parted out?  I just want the bullion I hope the last owner forgot to remove.
is there a saftey that may have been engaged that is preventing it from unlocking?
is there an exploded diagram available of the lock?
thanks

Answer
Hi Bill

First I'll address the "bullion" you hope is inside.   Previous owners NEVER abandon safes with stuff left in side, with the exception of a death in the family, however generally the families will have it opened.

I'm not sure WHAT your level of expertise is as you indicated that you've spent hours trying to manipulate it.   First rule of manipulation (or any type of safe opening for that matter) is lock identification.   I can see that you are guessing at the lock being a Yale Y6 because of the four wheels.   Other FOUR wheel locks that Cary used included the Yale 062-1/2, the Cary C-3 and possibly the S&G C62 roller bolt locks.   As you didn't provide me with a serial number, I can't ID the lock that you possibly have.

Next item would be your indication of "getting the torches out"!    This kind of confuses me!!!  As you've indicated that you are interested in the "Bullion", I think you are actually overlooking possibly the only value that you have - meaning the safe.
Chances of it having anything of value inside are pretty much slim to none, however damaging or destroying a possibly antique and/or at a minimum a collectible safe, just to see inside is far worse than buying a thousand lottery tickets, and knowing that your chances of winning are a billion to one.   Sorry this makes no sense to me.

As far as parting it out, you have several problems - first, hopefully you haven't already ruined the lock.   Other than the lock, dial, dial ring and the hinge acorns, the other parts have very limited value, unless you find someone with another similar safe needing donor parts.
Second is selling the items.   Unless you have a business where you receive hundreds of phone calls or emails concerning older safes, you may be sitting on the parts for years.   And lastly, after you destroy the safe, you will have the carcass to get rid of.   As most these containers are NOT solid steel, scrap metal places generally aren't interested unless you take the time to strip and separate the metal from the insulation material.

Last item would be providing you with any diagrams or giving you specific opening information.   Unless you are actively engaged in the safe industry (licensed or registered), we do not give out any information other than identification of what you have and proper dialing sequences for the lock installed.   As this is a general forum, I'm sure that you understand why we can't give out any information like this, for obvious security and liability reasons.   I have no idea who you are, what your relationship is and/or what authorization you have to even work on the safe.

I would be happy to try to help you figure out what you actually have, but as I've mentioned, I do need the serial number of the safe, which should be on the ball of the handle.

Sorry if I seem a little stiff here, but as indicated for obvious security and liability reasons I don't give out some of the info you've requested.   I also tend to get a little "tight" when antique safes are ruined for no good reason.    Hopefully you haven't gotten to that point yet, and everything is salvageable or repairable.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)