Locksmithing/Changing Combination

Question
I have a small safe that is Labeled Guardsman Safe and has a serial number of 20850. The combination according to the instructions I have is turn the dial to the right 5-6 times and then to the left until it stops. This does not work, the door is open and in a locked position. does this sound like a failure of some kind internally and how difficult would it be to change the combination? Should I just take it to a locksmith and have it checked over? For its size it is extremely heavy. Thank You very much. Mike

Answer
Most combinations consist of a number of turns.

If the lock was a four wheel combination lock set to one number, as in 25-25-25-25 then 5 turns to the right and then once back to the left would be a valid combination.

It is a little unusual to find safe locks set up this way.

The door may just lift off the hinges so you won't have to carry the whole safe in.

You would be wise to have the door checked out by a safe tech to make sure all the parts are there and functioning as they should.

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

Locksmithing

Dan Terrigno