Locksmithing/deadbolt removal

Question
deadbolt
deadbolt  
QUESTION: Hello,

I have a door with a deadbolt that we lost the key to. I'd like to be able to open the door and re-use the lock. I've attached the picture.

Thank you for your help.

Yours,

David

ANSWER: Hello David,

You have one-way screws on that lock.  Those will have to be removed unless you want to hire a locksmith, have them come out and make a key by impression.

If you can remove the lock, take it to a locksmith and they can make a key cheaper.

James

QUESTION: Well, I knew they were one-way screws! How does one remove them?

They are countersunk so I can't get at them.

Thanks again,

David

Answer
Hello David,

One-way screws are removed either with a one-way screw remover or by taking a Dremel with a cutoff wheel and making a cut in the head then using a flat head screwdriver to remove them.  This may damage the lock face.

If you don't want to damage it, a locksmith should be able to make a key by impression but they would have to come to you which can be expensive.

James

Locksmithing

James