Locksmithing/Diebold Safe

Question
The Diebold Safe was purchased 20+ years ago from an insurance
company. It has worked well but during a move, the number plate
for the dial was broken. I'd like to know where I may be able
to order a replacement. The only number I found on the safe is:
495007.

Answer
Linda,

Sorry, but serial numbers only work for the factories.   They do not publish or release information relating to safes, serial numbers, combinations, etc. etc. etc., for obvious security and liability reasons.

Chances are, if YOU acquired the safe over 20 years ago, and possibly the insurance company also had it for over 20 years - then there are not going to be any original type replacement parts available for your safe.
The factory only maintains parts listings for new equipment - less than 20 years old, usually 10 years or less.

This doesn't mean that you can't have a replacement dial from one of the lock manufacturers installed on your safe, but it does mean that you may also have to have the lock replaced.

Diebold used a 1/4" shaft on many of the dials they used on these older safes.   The industry standard is a 5/16" shaft or spindle.    If you have the 1/4" spindle it may need to be replaced.   There are a few aftermarket dial's with 1/4" spindles, but they are getting harder to get.

Bottom line is we need to start at square one:    What dial to you actually have???
Second question would be:    What lock is installed on your safe???

Once we have answers to these questions, we can possibly come up with some solutions for you.

In general, I do NOT recommend lock disassembly as a DIY project, for the same reason that I don't recommend using locksmiths for safe work.    Lack of training, knowledge and tools can result in excessive damage or possibly a locked up safe.

I recommend that you contact a local safe company to have them check your safe out, and/or repair it for you.   If you don't have a local company, let me know where you are located and I'll see who I might know in your area.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)