Locksmithing/mosler safe built into a wall

Question
mosler safe
mosler safe  
Hello, I recently purchased a house that was built in 1959 and has a Mosler safe built into the foundation of the house in an exterior wall in my basement. The previous owner was a family member who owned the house since the early 70's and never had the combo from the original owner. This is a picture of the safe and it has a number data plate on the front of the safe. Everything on the internet pertaining to opening it without the known combination just leads me to "call a locksmith" but id like a little more info on this safe before I do that because it doesn't really seem all that sturdy. Any info is appreciated, thank you.

Answer
Hi Gary,

This safe was one of the "Mosler-Protectall, Custodian series, round door wall safes.   Mosler made these from the late 1940's through the late 1950's.   The lock that I would expect to find installed would be a Mosler B103-D series locks, with three pin change wheels, offering 25 possible combination numbers per wheel.   Unfortunately the wheels can have variations for the 25 positions, and usually they would also provide odd-even-odd, or even-odd-even wheels - so from the outside there is no way of telling WHAT the variations might be - meaning that you basically have 1,000,000 possible combinations to try.

The dialing sequence for this lock is going to be:

4 times right to the first number,
3 times left to the second number,
2 times right to the third number,
1 time left slowly until the dial stops - you should be able to open the door now.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

As for your "calling a locksmith" - I NEVER recommend using a locksmith for safe work.   They generally do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage and/or charging exhorbant fees.    As there are no repair parts available for this safe or lock, if you plan on using it, then you shouldn't except any damage to it.

That being said, drilling the door, when done correctly by a trained safe technician, will NOT damage the door or lock, and usually repair parts will not be necessary.   The very small, single hole drilled in the door can easily be repaired and after the combination is recovered or reset the container should be useable.

If you don't have a SAFE COMPANY in your area, with a trained safe tech, then let me know where you are located (zipcode), and I'll see who I might know or recommend in your area.

Hope this helps.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)