Locksmithing/Shaw walker safe

Question
Hello Terry,

I have a safe question for you. My father recently passed away and he has a Shaw walker safe. I got you name from a post you answered to another persons question that had a 3 number safe. I found a piece of paper he had in a hidden location that I think may be teh combination i tried the numbers but it didnt open.
I'm thinking i didn't do it right or have the wrong numbers. I turned the dial many times CW a stopped on the first #, then CWW passing up the second # 2 times and then stopping the next time, then CW passing up #3 once and stopping when it came up again, then straight to the 4th number. NO GO. Am I doing this right?

Answer
Kirk,

there are only three reasons that a safe lock will not open, in order - they are:
1.  Incorrect dialing sequence - operator errors,
2.  Incorrect combination, wrong numbers,
3.  mechanical problems.

As you didn't provide the information listed on the piece of paper, I have no way of helping to decipher or decode it for you.  

Shaw Walker used several different types of locks so it will probably be one of the following sequences.  It will either be LRLR or RLRL

The dialing sequence should be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops (possibly last number)

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If this didn't work, then substitute RLRL for the LRLR above.    If it still doesn't work, you may need to have it checked by a safe tech from a local safe company (NOT a locksmith).

Many times people write down the combinations the way that THEY understand them, and NOT necessarily the way that they work.

Hope this helps.   If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode), and I'll see who I know in your area.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)