Locksmithing/Taylor vault

I have an opportunity to buy a building with a Taylor vault that use to be a bank.I know I am providing very little information but I was wondering if the vault has any value? The door of the vault has 2 round combination spinners(just guessing that is what these are)it has 2 door handles one of which is fixed.It has 3 hinges and is about 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide. The vault should be about 100 years old.If you could please give me an idea of what this is and what it might be worth it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, but vault doors have no "value" unless they have been removed, cleaned and are ready for sale.  

While the "BUILDING" may have more interest and therefor more value than say, a similar building next door as it has a built-in vault, the door by itself "currently" has a negative value - that being the cost to have it removed, prepped and readied for sale.

Cost to remove the door WILL depend on what it actually is (type of door), and how it is installed.    Doors which are grouted in place, in the structure, generally have to be cut out, and the excess concrete then removed and the door cleaned and prepared for a new  installation.    Once this has been done, and the door is readied for sale, then it can be evaluated or "valued".

As far as it being 100 years old - J & J Taylor was in business from 1855 until about 1927, so depending on what you actually have it could be much more or much less than 100 years old.   Do you have any documentation on the door, or are you simply guessing about the age???

As far as answering basic questions about the door itself, or evaluating its general condition, I would be happy to look at it for you.

In general though, this door may have more "value" right where it is, than trying to remove it and sell it.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)