I recently purchased an Allied-Gary safe that was used by a department store.  I believe the model number is ER-5624-20.  It has a digital combination pad that seems to work properly.  The safe is 64" tall by 26" wide and 26" deep.  The unit is in good condition and was wondering if the combination can be changed by me or professionally, how old (roughly) is it, what is the fire and burglary rating and about what is it worth, I paid $385 for it.

I'll start with the ratings.   As it is a model "ER", I would expect it to have a UL TL-15 burglary rating, though if it DOESN'T have the UL tag, then it is considered UN-Rated.

This container is NOT fire resistive.   It is a burglary resistive safe.

I can't answer to its value, as I have not inspected its condition, but "assuming" it is in "ok" condition, the $385 is a good buy.

As far as the age - you didn't provide me with the serial number so I can't answer that question, but it was probably built before 1995 - so at least 20 years old.

As for the digital lock - "DEPENDING" on the lock model, you may be able to change it yourself.   Some lock models need the manager or master code to change individual user codes.   if you don't have this code, then you may be stuck with the operating code that you have.   As you haven't given me any info concerning the lock, I can't provide you with lock operating instructions.

If it is a lock that you can't change the code because you don't have the master/manager code, then your options are to live with it, or to change it to one that you do have control over.    Depending on the age of the digital lock, and how much it was used at the market, I would probably recommend changing it out to be on the safe side.   Most of the lock manufacturers figure that their locks have a three year life under normal working conditions in a commercial environment - this would include the department store.   It would be way cheaper to change the lock to a new one, than to have it fail on you, and then you have to have the safe opened, repaired and a new lock installed.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)