Locksmithing/Art Metal

Question
I INHERITED A ART METAL INSULATED FILE SAFE MADE IN JAMESTOWN NY. IT HAS NO MODEL #. IT HAS TWO DRAWERS WITH THE TOP BEING COMBINATION LOCK WHICCH WORKS FINE. BUT I CANT OPEN THE BOTTOM DRAWER. IT HAS A THUMB LATCH WHICH APPEARS TO WORK BUT STILL WON'T OPEN.

Answer
Dean,

This company hasn't been in business for possibly 35-40 years so parts are no longer available for it.   Also, this company was a known user of asbestos for insulation material in their safes and file cabinets.   If you decide not to repair or use it, you may have very specific HAZMAT regulation that you will need to follow to dispose of the container.

Generally, mechanical problems are also hands on diagnostic and repair problems, which means if you can't get it operational, you will need to contact a local safe company or locksmith that deals with this type of container to service it or check it out for you.

"IF" the container is unlocked, and "IF" the latch button appears to work, then the drawer must be jammed shut.

This could be caused by a number of problems including swelling of the insulation and body of the container, or items which are stored in the drawers which have become caught or jammed between the drawer and container, or in the slides.   Sometimes items will fall out of the back of the drawer, and become caught under the bottom, jamming it up.

"IF" the latch is actually unlatching correctly, it may simply need something like a screw driver or small pry bar to unjam and open the drawer.
"IF" the latch is NOT releasing, try pressing in on the drawer to relieve any pressure, and then unlatch and pull.

If you still can't get it to open, you may need to have a service tech check it out.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)