Locksmithing/Cary safe

Question
Cary Safe I
Cary Safe I  

Cary safe II
Cary safe II  
I would like to know the value of the Cary safe that I have. I would like to know the best way to sell it as well.
I have attached two pictures but have more

Answer
Hi Dave,

I would be more than happy to take a look at your safe to answer any specific questions that you have about it.

As far as selling it - you would sell it just like any other item.   You need to identify your target buyers and provide information to them.   Ebay, Craigslist and local advertising are various methods to advertise.   You can also use antique dealers or an auction house, however they generally take a large commission.
Unfortunately unless you plan on keeping the safe for a period of time, be prepared to offer the safe for a lower value than it might be worth.    Increasing your price will reduce your potential buyers, and unless you have facilities to store it for several years waiting for the right buyer to come along you need to be flexible.    Have three values in mind - your asking price, the price you would like, and the minimum you would comfortably let the safe go for.
Similarly buyers will have three prices in mind also, their first offer (low), the price they would like to spend, and the maximum amount they will comfortably pay to get the safe.   Somewhere between your high value, and their low offering should be a price you can both agree upon.
Also, keep in mind that they will incur some cost to have the safe moved to their location.   while this cost may not influence you, it will influence their decision to purchase.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)