Locksmithing/core fell out of knob

Question
lock fell apart
lock fell apart  
The core lock part fell out of the knob on the door from the garage to the house.  I'm worried someone tampered with it and used it to make a key to my house.

Here is a picture.  I've put it back in the knob and I'm using the deadbolt above the know to secure the door.  Can someone make a key to my lock (one key for all my locks) if they have this part?

Thanks,

Answer
Hello David,

This is a common problem with Kwikset and Titan locks, deadbolts included.

If they have the lock body (the part that fell out) they can make a key if they know what they are doing, or they could take it to a locksmith to have one made.

Generally this type only falls out of knobs if the key with a slot in the bottom of the blade is used.  These are included with new locks but can be made from an existing key.

It's unlikely that someone made a key for your lock but it is possible.  I'd recommend rekeying your locks to make sure nobody has a key.  You may want to change to a better quality lock instead.

James

Locksmithing

James