Locksmithing/Diebold Safe locked but open

Question
I came across an old Diebold Safe. It is locked but is open. Is this an advantage for resetting the combination? I don't know if there is some mechanism that could be accessed behind the door to reset it. Any help would be appreciated.

Answer
Mike,

Having a safe which is OPEN, is ALWAYS an advantage when compared to one which is locked shut with no known combination.

As far as recovering or resetting the combination, I would recommend that you contact a local safe company to have them perform this task for you.   They should also service the lock and ensure that it is ready for operation, and/or identify any problems which need to be resolved BEFORE you close and lock the safe door.

NOTE:   I NEVER recommend lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reason that I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Lack of training, knowledge and tools can result in a very expensive lockout.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you and/or the safe are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)