Locksmithing/direction of combination numbers & number of rotations

Question
I have a friend that just bought a Underwriters Laberatories Inc.  BP-280 SAFE.  They gave him the combination,something like, (Clear 4 turns to 0),"Which way do you clear it to L or R" then (L 4 turns to ??),(R 3 turns to ??),(L 2 turns to ??)and(R to 0). You see this is the first time my friend has ever had a SAFE so he's NEW to these kind of things,  dose this SAFE have a safety protection when you don't get it right the first or second time? if so, how long do you have to wait or what do you have to do to get past it?  Thank you for your time and we would greatly appreciate your input on this problem were having.    THANK YOU

Answer
Hi Raymond,

the safe is NOT an Underwriters Laboratories safe.   UL is simply a standards and testing agency.   The "BP-280" is simply a standard number, and has nothing to do with the safe.

Next item, the lock was "cleared" when it was locked.   No amount of turning will clear the lock any further.   This is simply an instruction past on by someone who doesn't understand the operation of the lock.

As you didn't provide me with the "combination" that they gave him I can't check it for possible errors, but based on the info that you have provided, the dialing sequence should be as follows:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops.

left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.  DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance if your first number is 50, you would turn the dial counter clockwise, stopping the fourth time the number 50 arrives at the index mark.

There are NO safety features that will stop the lock from operating if you mis-dial.  If it is not unlocking then either you are making a dialing error, or you don't have the correct combination.

If you still can't get it unlocked, then you may need to have it checked out by a safe technician from a local safe company.   If you don't have a local safe company, then I will need to know where you are located (zipcode) to see who I might know in your area.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)