Locksmithing/Indentify Safe Manufacturer for Pete

Question
Safe Front
Safe Front  

Safe Back
Safe Back  
I appreciate your input,

I have acquired a safe from a local thrift store that I would like to refinish as a functional conversation piece for our family room.  My dilemma is that it has been repainted by a previous owner.  As a result, any and all indications of the manufacturer have been eliminated.  Can you please determine the manufacturer and possible age range of this safe to guide my refinishing efforts?

Description:

Weight:   500 lbs – 520 lbs

Exterior:       33 ¼ inches tall including wheels.(27 ¼ tall
         excluding wheels)
     22 ½ inches wide
     23 ¾ inches deep

Interior:       19 ¾ inches tall
     15 inches wide
     16 ½ inches deep(Back wall to back of inside
         secondary metal door)

Combination Rotation: After clearing the lock, Rotate LEFT (counterclockwise) four times to the first number.  RIGHT (clockwise) three times to the second number.  LEFT two times to the third number and finally RIGHT to the last number.  This seems to be the opposite of many postings I’ve read that start to the RIGHT instead of the LEFT.  Hopefully this will help identify a manufacturer.

Other Identifying marks: The number “323724” is stamped on the knob of the dial. (See photo)

The number “1596” is stamped into the exterior back panel and the same number is hand painted inside the door back panel. (See photos)

Some indication of possible age is included in writing on cement fireproofing inside door: “Corey”   “4-1-43”   “opened”  (See photo)

Thank you very much for any information you can provide.

Pete

Answer
Hi Pete,

Your safe was manufactured by the "Victor Safe - The Safe Cabinet Company" of Marietta, Ohio.   The "Victor Safe & Lock Company was in business from about 1885 until they were acquired by the Safe Cabinet Company around 1926 and then Remington-Rand in 1926-27.   With a serial number of 323754, your safe would have been made sometime after 1926 as the oldest serial number (similar to yours) I've found is 290073.   Based on manufacturing info, this would put your safe as having been made some time between 1929-1933ish.
Safes and models manufactured by the new company were very similar to those made by the original company for several years.   Eventually all of the safes made by Remington-Rand, The Safe Cabinet Co. and Victor Safe, were all identical, though they kept the labels separate.
All three of these companies were acquired by the Sperry-Rand merger in 1955 and ALL safe manufacturing ceased.

The 1596 number is possibly a "build" or "mold" reference number, stamped in during manufacturing to keep parts for a particular type or build together.

The "Corey / 4-1-43 / opened" is possibly a reference to the safe having been opened on that particular date by Ray Corey.   His father Charles L. (C.L.) Corey was born in 1881.   He began his company in early 1915 as "Corey Safe & Lock".   Mr. Corey died in December of 1934, but his widow Florence, oldest son Ray, and the rest of his sons continued to run the business until it was sold to Allied Safe & Lock in the mid 1950's.
Around 1988 a book was printed by Dave McOmie and Eugene Corey entitled "Diary of a Safeman", the journal of safeman C.L. Corey during the 1920's and into the 1930's.

Unfortunately the inscription of 4-1-43, has nothing to do with your safe or when it was made, this is simply an "tag" done during servicing of the safe, at a particular time.   Though now you possibly have a bit of a story to go along with it.

As for the "other postings" that you have read - there were hundreds of different locks by as many different lock makers, and many of them have their OWN dialing sequences.   When I give out a dialing sequence - it is for the lock on YOUR safe.   Don't read someone else's answer and try to apply it to your safe - they could EASILY be apples and watermelons apart!!!!!

As far as the "paint scheme" for your safe, I do have one photo of a similar safe to yours which does illustrate what the standard "look" would have been.    As this site wipes your info, I would need an email address to send this photo to you.   send a request to me at:

andy@securitysafeusa.com

Let me know what you are looking for (be specific), because between now and then I will have forgotten your request in the 500 other emails I will have gotten!  :)

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)