Locksmithing/Montgomery Ward Safe

I have a safe to sell and I was wondering if I could get any help on about how much it may be worth? It is a Montgomery Ward safe Model #9042. It's 22.5" tall and depth is the same. It is 17" wide. It opens well with the combination. There are no problems with it, just a little rust. I can't seem to find out what this is worth no matter how much I research. If I could just get a ballpark figure I'd be very appreciative. Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi Annette,

Montgomery Ward's was not a safe maker, they were a seller.   They had safes made by several different companies.   All of these safes were very cheaply made safes.   When they were brand new they sold for about $150 to $200 max.

As a used safe, especially with rust they have little to no value  ($0).   The reason that you can't find any thing on them during your research, is that, simply no one wants them.

If your safe is still operational, and you plan on selling it at something similar to a yard sale, you might put an "asking price" of around $25-$50, but be readily prepared to go down in price if you really want to sell it.   If you stand firm on your price, chances are you are still going to have it at the end of the day.   If someone is interested, they will make you a counter offer.   Somewhere between their low price and your asking price, the two of you should be able to have a comfortable meeting.

Sorry, the news isn't better.

QUESTION: Thanks for your help, Terry. I was alittle discouraged when I saw what it's worth.  After I wrote my post, I finally saw some online. One went for about $18, I couldn't believe it. Then one sold for about $65. I was glad to see that, lol. Then just recently I saw one on craigslist for $150. It was in great condition, and the pictures looked real good. I have no idea if the seller ever got that much for it. If they did, the buyer didn't know the value of the safe that's for sure. I really appreciate you answering my question and sharing your expertise.

I always hate to be the bearer of bad news - I have to take off my white hat for a few minutes each time.   It is so much easier to be the good guy telling people that they have an extremely rare safe worth billions of dollars - unfortunately that rarely happens as well.

Unfortunately, my job is to be as unbiased as possibly - only presenting the facts about any given container - then its up to you how you use the info - whether buying or selling.   Many times I get contacted by BOTH buyer and seller concerning a particular safe, and the information I present as to be as close to identical (regarding the container) as possible.   My credibility wouldn't last very long if it wasn't!   LOL

A lot of times people are very disappointed in the info, as they want the container to be more than it actually is - so I've actually had people yell at me because I didn't give them the information that THEY wanted, rather than the truth.    Fortunately that doesn't happen very often or I would get very discouraged.

Hopefully your next set of questions will have a much better result.   As always feel free to run any questions concerning safes by me, BEFORE making any decisions, whether buying, selling or having service work performed.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)