Locksmithing/Moser Electric Combo

I have a GSA safe I bought at an auction and have been using it for about a year now the combination doesn't show any numbers or lightening bolt, for some reason I kept putting the combination in backwards.

It has the gray dial and a generator inside.

What do I do or how long do I have to wait to get the numbers back on the screen, 3 minutes and 4 minutes haven't gotten me any where.

You can check the number of "current" unsuccessful attempts by dialing:

1. Allow lock to power down. (After 40 seconds,
the display will go blank. Wait an additional 2
minutes for full power down.)
2. Dial left until lock is “powered”. If 3 or more
consecutive unsuccessful attempts have
occurred, a lightning bolt along with the two digit
count will be displayed.    Note:   If the count exceeds 99 - the 99 will be displayed.

If you are not getting any display (blank display), then the lock is either NOT powering up (lock failure), or you may have a bad generator.

As far as your "operating it backwards" - sorry there is nothing I can do to fix that.   If you can't operate it correctly, then it will not open.

The lightning bolt indicates operator errors, or incorrect combination.   If you don't have the correct combination, it won't operate.

If you still can't get it to cooperate or unlock, then you will need to either have it checked out by a safe technician who IS familiar with this lock, and/or possibly have the container drilled open.   Sorry, there is nothing in between.   Either it operates correctly, or it will need to be drilled.

sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)