Locksmithing/Moving a safe

Question
Andy,
What is the safest way to move a 30" high approx. 300-400 lb. safe out of a basement. There are about six narrow wooden stairs that are very weak and may not support the weight of the safe, a hand truck and two or three men. What equipment and techniques are needed to do this without causing harm to the movers or the safe? Thanks, Jay

Answer
Hi Jay,

The safest way to move it would be to hire a safe moving company.   They have all of the equipment to do it safely.

While 300-400 lbs.  may not seem like a lot, but when you are moving up or down steps or stairs, gravity is not your friend, and 300-400 lbs can easily become a missile, taking out anyone and anything below it.

Hand trucks are a waste of time, and when you get three guys and a safe on the steps, they simply get in each others way.

Sorry, but as far as giving you instructions and info on moving safes, places us in a potential liability position, so we do not do that.   Moving heavy equipment is something that takes a lot of training and specialized equipment to do safely, without potential damage or injuries to workers, equipment or your building.   Even professionals occasionally have problems, and with heavy equipment you DO NOT get do overs.   One of our guys got a hand crushed against a wall when a safe shifted.   Last year a professional safe company in the Denver area had a worker killed when a safe shifted and pinned him against a wall.   The other three workers were trapped in the room they were moving the safe into and had to sit there and watch him die.   When the fire department got there, they cut the wall out to get the other workers out, so that they could get extra tools to get the safe off of there co worker.

This IS NOT a DIY type project, and the specialized moving equipment is not available for rent anywhere.

About the best that I can offer is to see what safe companies that are in your area, that I might recommend.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)