Locksmithing/Protectall safe lost combination.

Question
I have a Protectall safe and can no longer find the combination. I read a previous post where you had mentioned that a safe co. Could help open the safe. You also said if the reader did not know of a safe co they could provide a zip code and you could help.

Two questions. 1 can the safe be opened and returned back to operation or is this a one time open and never to be used again operation. 2 could you help me locate an appropriate professional for help.. I would love to be able to use this safe again.

Thank you so much

Bill

Answer
Hi Bill,

You didn't provide me with a zipcode, so I can't see who I might know in your area, that I might recommend.

In answer to your questions - 1.  Would you take your car to a mechanic for an oil change if he indicated that he could change your oil, but would ruin the engine in the process???
I didn't think so - and you should apply this same principle to having someone work on your safe.   If they can't open it without destroying it, AND more importantly return it to fully operating capability, then you probably shouldn't use them.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of "wannabee" safe techs (and even locksmiths), who have little or no training, yet because they can afford a phone number and some advertising, potential customers believe that they are getting trained, competent professionals.
just like any other profession, it PAYS to look around for a competent plumber, lawyer, auto mechanic, doctor, dentist AND locksmith/safe company.   Keeping their number handy can save you some big dollars when you might need one of them in an emergency.

I've kind of (sort of) answered question #2 already, however even if I provide you with some references, its up to you to do your homework to determine if they are someone YOU want working for you.   If you would like me to see whom I might know provide me with a zipcode.

Last item is more of a question for you.   You have indicated that "I would love to be able to use this safe again".   For what purposes????   Your safe does not meet any current standard for fire or burglary, so unless your plans are to store general purpose, easily replaceable items, or as a decoration type, display item, I would not recommend its use.

Basic History:   In the 1930's a successful Syracuse, NY retailer named George Bloch began a small safe manufacturing plant by the name of "Protectall".  With Bloch's sharp wit and business savvy Protectall was soon doing respectable business.   All of this prosperity soon attracted the attention of the Mosler Safe Company, who acquired the company in the early 1940's.   
After the acquisition Edward Mosler was appointed to head the company in Syracuse.   With the help of Henry Bluestone, who ran the sales department when Bloch owned Protectall.   Mosler successfully ran the business until 1949, when Mr. Mosler Sr. decided to close the Syracuse plant and consolidate it into the main Mosler facility in Hamilton, Ohio.
Mosler continued the use of the "Protectall" logo through the late 1950's although these safes were Mosler safes and NOT Protectall.

safes which are OVER 50 years old (which would include yours) do not meet any current standards for fire or burglary and are generally considered obsolete as repair/replacement parts are not available.

who ever opens your safe for you, SHOULD be able to open it without causing any damage which is not repairable.    Drilling a safe to open it is NOT considered a destructive method, when done correctly and by a competent, trained safe technician.    As there are no repair parts available, the lock also should not be damaged during the opening.

Costs could easily run between $350 to $500 to have it opened AND repaired.

Hope this helps and gives you some food for thought.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)