Locksmithing/Safe Restoration and Art Work

QUESTION: You mentioned that you know of some companies in NJ that can do safe restoration and art work. Please provide their names and contact info. I know of one company in Ohio (Matt's Antique Safe Restoration), but the cost of shipping a safe round trip from NJ would be cost prohibitive. I see many safes for sale at reasonable prices that are mechanically sound, but are very poor cosmetically. I would like to get some quotes for safe restoration and then purchase a good used safe to restore. Thanks, Jay

Yes Matt is a friend of mine.   His work is impeccable, and DEFINITLY worth the cost.

The nearest companies that I know of to you - and they are NOT in New Jersey, are in New York, on Long Island.   I've got two companies for you to check out.

1.  Precision Lock & Safe Inc.
240 Jericho Turnpike,
Floral Park, NY   11001
516-616-0854          Dov & Elaad Israeli

2.  Accusafes
112 Newtown Road
Plainview, NY   11803
516-752-3893          Neal Krazalowski

While Matt would be my first recommendation, I do understand the freight costs.   Precision Lock would be my second recommendation, and Accusafes my third.

Hopefully one of these three companies will be able to help you with your project.

Yes, I agree with you. From the pictures on his website, Matt's work is impeccable. I may look into ways of saving on shipping so I can have Matt do the work if I find a safe that would be a good candidate for restoration. Thanks, Jay

Check out the other two companies first.   Elaad also does some really nice work, however he actually runs a safe company so he has other work which may come first.   Similarly Neal does a nice job, but the same thing goes with him, he also has a safe company so restorations tend to take a back seat, but both of them will give you a nice looking safe.

Worst case, spend a little more on the freight and send it to Matt.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)