Locksmithing/Sperry Rand Victor Firemaster LX 4 drawer cabinets

The lock
The lock  
I read these haven't been made since 1956? Ouch!
Our 2 file cabinets have been mysteriously locked & we don't have a key. Daily-use business files locked inside. 3 questions, please:
1. What's best/least expensive method to get access to our files? Cabinets are full.
2. Can the "Chicago" lock, with no other identifying info on it, be completely removed, and any other brand reinserted? How?
3. What don't I know enough to ask? I'm just trying to get access to the papers I need for work.
Thank you!

1. You could pick it or call a good locksmith- not one of the internet $19 ones.

Call one that has a physical store in your area.

2 They still make replacement locks if it has to be drilled. Again, find someone who knows how to do this. Too deep could damage irreplaceable parts.

"Hi. I have a Victor insulated file cabinet with an oval Chicago lock in it. We have lost all the keys and would like to have it picked open and a key made, or replace the lock cylinder. There is no code on the face of the lock. Do you have these locks or can you make a key to the existing one? We are located near xxxx, how much would the service call and labor be? How much are new lock cylinders? Thanks."

That should provide any competent locksmith with the information he/she needs to price the job. Do not accept open ended quotes, as in, $19 trip charge and $40 an hour until the job is done.

Where we are, a local trip charge is $65, $15each to pick, replacement locks $18 ea.

Dan Terrigno

I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems

35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies