Locksmithing/Cary Safe #156989

Question
I have a Cary safe that is locked. It belonged to the Genesee County Sheriff's Office in Batavia NY. It has a serial # of 156989. What would the possible sequence be for a combination try. The wheel tumbler in center of door is marked CARY. I believe it was made between 1917-1929 ish.

Answer
Brian,

Your safe would have been made approximately 1918  (1917-1920ish).    The lock that I would expect to find on this container would be the Yale Y-6, four wheel lock.

The dialing sequence for the lock is:

5 times right to the first number,
4 times left to the second number,
3 times right to the third number,
2 times left to the fourth number,
1 time right until the dial stops (around 90-95).

Note 1:   Many times the first and second wheel are set on the same number so the dialing sequence would be:

5 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,

Note 2:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the INDIVIDUAL number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance if your first number is 50, you would turn the dial clockwise (right), stopping the fifth time the number 50 arrives at the index mark.   

Note 3:   If all four wheels are used, you have the potential of 100,000,000 possible combinations.   If the first two wheels are set on the same number, you still have 1,000,000 possible combo's.    Testing 500 combo's each day would take 550 years and 5.3 years respectively.

If you don't have a combination, or the combo that you do have is not working, then I would recommend having a trained safe technician - NOT a locksmith - check it out.

Fortunately you have a really good safe tech in your area that I would highly recommend if you can't get the combo to work.

Mark's Safe & Lock Company
716-553-6168          Mark Swetland
441 Cherokee Dr
Cheektowaga, NY  14225

Hope this helps  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)