Locksmithing/Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe

Question
safe-open
safe-open  

inside door
inside door  
Hi there!
I have come across the safe that is pictured here. The extent of my knowledge on this safe is "its heavy". So I am hoping to get a little bit more information from someone. Anything you can tell me about it would be appreciated. Someone is offering to give it away to me and before taking the trouble to hire a moving company, I want to know if it's worth it. Also, the owner has no idea what the combination is. Can that be found out? I will list the little information I have to give below. Thank you for your time!!

p.s. I have one more picture that does show the back of the safe as well as the front of the door.

Answer
Zach,

"Heavy" is a relative term.   To most people 500 lbs heavy - to safe movers anything under 1000 lbs is light, up to 3000 medium,  5000 heavy, and below 10,000 super heavy.    Anything over 10,000 lbs would be in a special class, but then again rarely does anyone move something this heavy by hand.

Your little safe is probably around 500-800 lbs.   While this may be light to a safe mover, they are equipped to move safes.   Also, remember that when moving even a little guy like this - GRAVITY IS NOT YOUR FRIEND!   Weight can easily get away from you, and can severely crush, injure or damage - VERY quickly.

As far as recovering the combination, as long as the door is open, it can easily be recovered by the safe company you have move it.

Bottom line - if you want it, then get it, don't worry about its "value" right now - the price is right.   Once you have it

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)