Locksmithing/Old Weiser Lockset

Question
I have a Weiser lockset from 1972. I want to remove the lock cylinder to rekey it. This set is the type where you push in the inside door knob and turning it to lock the door. The inside mechanisms are not like any I can find on the how-to videos. The connection from the inside knob to the outside knob is a square tube with a square rod inside. I can get everything apart down to where the square rod goes into the keyed knob. How do I get the lock cylinder out from here?

Answer
Hello Larry,

With the lock removed from the door and the outside assembly separate from the inside, insert the current working key.  Pull the small rod out, hold it there, then turn the key clockwise.  At about the 3 or 4 o'clock position begin pulling on the key.  The cylinder should come out.  If not, keep turning the key and pulling until it does.  Make sure the small rod is pulled all the way out as you turn so it releases from the lock cylinder.

James

Locksmithing

James