Locksmithing/how to open a drilled

I am trying to open a safe that is drilled. it is drilled at about 10 o'clock I could see the wheel packs and could line up all the notches there.  could you tell me where the fence is so I could calculate the combination.  The safe is very old and has 167842 on the handle.  it is aprox 2.5' X 3.5'

For obvious security and liability reasons, we do not give out any opening instructions to anyone - even licensed/registered locksmiths and safe technicians.   We have no idea who you are, your relationship to, or authority to work on the safe.

First rule of opening or working on safes is to identify the safe manufacturer AND more importantly the lock.   This eliminates any guess work, and possible damage.

The only thing that I can tell you on this one, is if you can already see the wheel pack, dial up your reference numbers, and add one until you have 100 possible combinations, and simply dial every one.   It doesn't matter where the fence is, if you are dialing correctly, it will eventually open.

If it still doesn't open, and you aren't a trained safe technician with proper safe tools, then I would recommmend that you contact a local safe company to have their safe tech finish opening it.

If this safe is possibly an antique, you do not want to do any further damage which may ruin any antique or collectible value.    While I'm sure that you really want to get it open, as "Dirty Harry" once said "a man's GOT to know his limitations"!    Damage to an antique safe should NEVER be acceptable.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)