Locksmithing/Safe

Question
Front
Front  
I can purchase the attached safe from the business where my wife works. We can not find a manufacturers tag on it though. It has two tags: One says "Underwriters Laboratories Class A No. 4714" and the other says "SMNA 4hrs Cat. No. 58". It has two doors and one dial. Stand 77" tall, 31" deep and 46" wide. I know it is not much to go on but would you be able to tell who manufactured it? I want to make sure it is worth what they are asking for it. Thanks.

Answer
Dan,

Based on what I can see, I would have to assume that it is a Mosler fire resistive safe, possibly late 1940's or early 50's, though the lock is not correct - it appears to have been replaced.

The Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) was a testing agency and has nothing to do with a possible manufacturer.   It only indicates the rating which the safe was built to, which in this case would be a "Classification A" or 4 hour fire resistive container.

As far as value, without seeing a lot better photos I can't give you an "appraisal", but I can tell you the following.

fire resistance:     $0     Does not meet any current standards
Burglary resistive:  $0     This is NOT a burglary resistive container
Resale:          $0     This container has no commercial or retail value.   It should not be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.
Antique:          $0     This container is not over 100 years old.
Collectible:         $0     This container is considered "office equipment" and has no collectible value.

While it would probably be ok as a fire resistive container for non-valuable, easily replaceable documents, generally we would charge to haul it away.    If you are planning on making an offer for it, I would probably suggest in the $100-$500 range.   The seller should have three prices in mind - their asking price (high), the price they would like, and the minimum value they would accept, comfortably.
You should have three similar values - your offering bid (low), a price you would like to spend, and the maximum amount that you would comfortably spend to purchase it.   Somewhere in between the seller's high and your low, should be a value that is agreeable.   If the numbers are too far apart, then walk away.

Hope this answer your question

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)