Locksmithing/Saga Safe KEY

Andy - I have the original combination card, the safe is open but looks like I need a key #18 to unlock once the combination is input.     The look manufacture is Sargent & Greenleaf, they were of no help, is there a list someplace perhaps in a locksmith registry that I can locate a key code and have one made??

Hi Bill,

Lock manufacturers NEVER set combinations on locks - they are shipped out on a neutral number.   The original combination would be set by the SAFE manufacturer when the lock is installed, so naturally they wouldn't have any information.

Safe Manufacturers ALSO never publish ANY information pertaining to combinations for safes for obvious security and/or liability reasons.   Safes really wouldn't be very safe if there were lists of combinations floating around - now would they???

Keys for safes are also not published for similar reasons.    However ANY real Locksmith shop or safe company, should be able to open the lock and/or hand make a key for it.   If they can't or want to drill this lock, then they aren't really locksmiths.

Best that I can recommend would be to take it to a locksmith shop - not a key cutter and/or a safe company to see if they can pick the lock and make a key for it.   While you can call them about it, until they actually see it they aren't going to be able to answer the question.

NOTE:   If the lock is what is known as a "dimple" key, then you may not find anyone that can duplicate these keys.    Years ago, there were quite a few of these key machines available, but due to lack of demand, pretty much everyone has gotten rid of them.

Last item - these safes were imports from China.   The company that imported them went out of business around 20 years ago, and so that avenue is also - dead!   Sorry.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)