Locksmithing/Saga Safe KEY

Question
Andy - I have the original combination card, the safe is open but looks like I need a key #18 to unlock once the combination is input.     The look manufacture is Sargent & Greenleaf, they were of no help, is there a list someplace perhaps in a locksmith registry that I can locate a key code and have one made??

Answer
Hi Bill,

Lock manufacturers NEVER set combinations on locks - they are shipped out on a neutral number.   The original combination would be set by the SAFE manufacturer when the lock is installed, so naturally they wouldn't have any information.

Safe Manufacturers ALSO never publish ANY information pertaining to combinations for safes for obvious security and/or liability reasons.   Safes really wouldn't be very safe if there were lists of combinations floating around - now would they???

Keys for safes are also not published for similar reasons.    However ANY real Locksmith shop or safe company, should be able to open the lock and/or hand make a key for it.   If they can't or want to drill this lock, then they aren't really locksmiths.

Best that I can recommend would be to take it to a locksmith shop - not a key cutter and/or a safe company to see if they can pick the lock and make a key for it.   While you can call them about it, until they actually see it they aren't going to be able to answer the question.

NOTE:   If the lock is what is known as a "dimple" key, then you may not find anyone that can duplicate these keys.    Years ago, there were quite a few of these key machines available, but due to lack of demand, pretty much everyone has gotten rid of them.

Last item - these safes were imports from China.   The company that imported them went out of business around 20 years ago, and so that avenue is also - dead!   Sorry.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)