Locksmithing/victory safe combo

Question
Andy, Hi, recently I changed my antique 3 number victory safe combination. The old combination is 2-22-78. Well, The big air head that I am, I didn't write it down and now can only vaguely remember the last number being 60 or 62. Is it possible that since the last number changed 16 to 18 points, that all the numbers are off by 16-18 points and would that sequence be down, up, down? I only held the back wheel and spun the lock to change the numbers. Thanks, Tim

Answer
Hi Tim,

Assuming that you ONLY changed the drive pin, drive wheel alignment, then yes, you would have changed the combination equally on all three combination wheels.

While you can test a combination (+/-) 16-18 points, you can also simply try testing one hundred (100) variations of your old combination, though you might try adding 2 to each number to cut it down to 50.    It will probably be close enough to get it open, and once it is open, you can either verify or dial it more accurately, and then of course - "Write It Down"!

Changing the drive wheel, drive pin alignment affects all of the wheels equally, so you don't have to worry about adding up or down.    Simply apply your correction to each number exactly the same, and you shouldn't have a problem.   

If you changed drive pin alignments on EACH wheel, then none of the above will help, as EACH wheel has been changed differently.    In this case, you will need to either test EVERY possible combination, or have it opened by a trained safe technician.

If you can't get it to open, then contact a local safe company (not a locksmith) to have their safe technician open your safe and recover the combination.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)