Locksmithing/Gary Safe

Gary safe
Gary safe  
Hi Terry,

My wife and bought an old Gary safe # 14618 (a thing of beauty...we could not resist) that we would love to use...of course it came without a combination. I have read the advice you gave a couple of years ago to another Gary safe owner regarding finding someone locally who might be able to open the safe and reset (sorry if that's not the right term!) the combination. We live in Palm Springs, CA.

I have attached a picture of the safe.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Hi Howard,

You have an older Gary safe, from probably the early 1960's.    There are no parts available for these doors, so you need to have it opened by someone who can do so, without damaging it.    Drilling when done correctly by a trained safe technician will not damage it, and the very small hole can be easily repaired.   Once open the combination can be recovered and/or reset to a new combination.

I've got a couple companies for you, that cover the whole east LA Valley area.

The closest is:

Stratton Safes:          Neil Stratton
240 Maple Ave, Suite G
Beaumont, CA 92223
Toll Free (877) 765-SAFE (7233)
Local Southern CA. (909) 963-0801

A little further away, but one of the best safe crackers in the LA area is:

Professional Safe Cracking
760-805-2958          Todd Kerm
P.O.B. 1506
Temecula, Ca.  92593

hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)