Locksmithing/gary safe

Question
I have a Gary safe that was given to me. It is a round lift out type door. I was told the combination is right 38 left 20 right 6. The dial seems to be able to push down. Would the combination need to be dialed then push down to retract the bolts? Obviously I haven't been able to get the safe open. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Answer
Hello Gerritfaber,

Unfortunately combinations are usually passed on the way the former owners "understand it", and NOT necessarily the way that the lock actually works.   

While Gary did make a number of types of doors, with several variations of locks, they all had a fairly standard dialing sequence.   Your lock should actually dial:

4 times left to the first number, 38
3 times right to the second number, 20
2 times left to the third number, 6
1 time right until the dial stops.

If you have a "Gary" round door, the dial will NOT be pushed down during the unlocking procedure.   If the door is a "STAR" round door, then it will need to be pushed down at zero.

If you are able to push the dial down on a Gary door, then it may need service, and/or the lock may need some repair work.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If you are still having problems with it, then you may not have the correct combination.   I would recommend taking it to a local safe company to have them check it out and assist you.   If the numbers aren't correct, then they may need to open it up in order to recover the combination and provide you with the dialing sequence for your door.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)