Locksmithing/locke safe

Question
terry I have my dad's safe which was left to me with no combo. it is a SMNA grp 2 2hr. 2079 X1 catalog # 20 safe manufacturing national asso. I've tried to open with no success. if I dril to open at what location would I drill and what size drill bit would be used ? the safe is square combo dial pretty much in middle open handle left of dial no O on dial. I would like to open without destroying safe and use it for pistols. thank you for any help you can give me.    I don't really want to drill and blast.  big john

Answer
Hi John,

First I'll address the Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) label.   This was a standards testing agency (similar to UL).   It has nothing to do with the safe or manufacturer, other than indicating the "STANDARD" the safe was built to.     In this case it is a 2 hour fire resistive container.

Second item - drilling / opening instructions.    For obvious security and liability reasons we do not give out ANY instructions other than the proper dialing sequence for the lock installed on the safe.   We have no way of knowing who you are, what your relationship to the safe is, and/or whether or not you are even authorized to work on it.    We have this policy regardless of if you are the owner or a registered locksmith or safe tech.

As this is an open forum, available to be read by anyone and everyone, we do not put any information out that we feel would jepordize anyone's security.

At this point I only have two options for you - first you can test dial all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations, or second, you can contact a safe tech at a local safe company to have them open it for you.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Sorry I can't offer more help, but hopefully you understand why.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)