Locksmithing/locke safe

terry I have my dad's safe which was left to me with no combo. it is a SMNA grp 2 2hr. 2079 X1 catalog # 20 safe manufacturing national asso. I've tried to open with no success. if I dril to open at what location would I drill and what size drill bit would be used ? the safe is square combo dial pretty much in middle open handle left of dial no O on dial. I would like to open without destroying safe and use it for pistols. thank you for any help you can give me.    I don't really want to drill and blast.  big john

Hi John,

First I'll address the Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) label.   This was a standards testing agency (similar to UL).   It has nothing to do with the safe or manufacturer, other than indicating the "STANDARD" the safe was built to.     In this case it is a 2 hour fire resistive container.

Second item - drilling / opening instructions.    For obvious security and liability reasons we do not give out ANY instructions other than the proper dialing sequence for the lock installed on the safe.   We have no way of knowing who you are, what your relationship to the safe is, and/or whether or not you are even authorized to work on it.    We have this policy regardless of if you are the owner or a registered locksmith or safe tech.

As this is an open forum, available to be read by anyone and everyone, we do not put any information out that we feel would jepordize anyone's security.

At this point I only have two options for you - first you can test dial all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations, or second, you can contact a safe tech at a local safe company to have them open it for you.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Sorry I can't offer more help, but hopefully you understand why.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)