Locksmithing/lost combination

Question
I have an in-floor safe made by Atlas Safe Co., Inc. that was bought about 30 years ago and installed in the floor with concrete.  The problem is that the door to the safe has a combination (it says "Atlas" on the circular knob where you turn for the combination and also it has a key.  The problem is that I lost the combination but I still have the key.  I also have the serial number which is 10418. I have called quite a few locksmiths but nobody seem to be able to help me. I would appreciate any ideas or any contacts that you might have here in Miami that you think would be able to help me. (The safe has a circular opening with a metal lid that covers the whole opening so that it is level with the floor but if I remember correctly it is not circular inside)

Answer
Hi Marylou,

The majority of the safes I've seen with an "Atlas Safe Company" logo, were actually made by the Major Safe Company (now owned by American Security Products - AMSEC).    Unfortunately as Atlas is no longer in business, and as AMSEC does NOT have records for Major safes prior to serial number 370940, you are pretty much out of luck in tracking down possible combinations.

First word of warning - NEVER, EVER, EVER use a locksmith for safe work.   They generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes and can charge excessive prices while they go about the business of ruining your safe.    I have to applaud everyone of the ones that you talked to, for having the integrity to indicate that this was NOT their area of expertise.

I do have a good contact in Miami that I would recommend your contacting.   If they can't help you, they will have some good recommendations in your area.   Here is their info:

Worldwide Safe & Vault Company
3660 NW 115th Ave,
Doral, FL 33178
Phone:(305) 477-9266
800-932-2278
hours are 8-6pm,  M-F (closed Sat, Sun & Holidays)

Sorry you aren't closer to California, but I hope this helps you out.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)